Any finding in civil or criminal court may result in immigration consequences.
- Both the existence of an order of protection, and violation can lead to negative immigration consequences.
- Orders of protection can be used as supporting evidence for other forms of domestic violence (DV) based immigration relief.
- For more comprehensive guidance, please see the Orders of Protection module.
REVISIT THIS FOR LINK
Both the issuance of an order of protection, and violation can lead to negative immigration consequences.
The Process for Immigration Referrals
- USCIS may seek access to the NYS Order of Protection Registry.
- USCIS can gather Family Court Orders of Protection because their databases are connected to the NYS Order of Protection Registry.
- Immigration authorities use this information to determine if a person should be removed from the United States.