This module provides information on how the existence of an order of protection, and violation can lead to negative immigration consequences.
Order of Protection Registry
The Process for Immigration Referrals
- US Citizen and Immigration Services may seek access to the NYS Order of Protection Registry.
- USCIS can gather Family Court Orders of Protection because their databases are connected to the NYS Order of Protection Registry.
- Immigration authorities use this information to determine if a person should be removed from the United States.
How Does Immigration Know?
- All orders of protection that are entered into the NY State Order of Protection Registry are automatically sent to an FBI database that is shared with immigration authorities.
Follow the Fingerprints
- Any time immigration authorities fingerprint an individual, they gain access to information in the NY Order of Protection Registry.
Immigrants are Fingerprinted During:
- Applications for immigration benefits
- Applications for relief from deportation
- Deportation proceedings
- International travel
Immigration authorities use this information to determine if a person should be removed from the U.S., granted an immigration benefit or relief from deportation, or allowed to reenter the U.S. after travel abroad.